American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A hollow flexible tube for insertion into a body cavity, duct, or vessel to allow the passage of fluids or distend a passageway. Its uses include the drainage of urine from the bladder through the urethra or insertion through a blood vessel into the heart for diagnostic purposes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery: A tubular instrument introduced through the urethra into the bladder, to draw off the urine when its discharge is arrested by disease or accident. ⟨b) A tube for introduction into other canals: as, a Eustachian catheter.
- n. medicine A small tube inserted into a body cavity to remove fluid, create an opening, distend a passageway or administer a drug
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) The name of various instruments for passing along mucous canals, esp. applied to a tubular instrument to be introduced into the bladder through the urethra to draw off the urine.
- n. a thin flexible tube inserted into the body to permit introduction or withdrawal of fluids or to keep the passageway open
- Late Latin, from Greek kathetēr, from kathīenai, kathe-, to send down : kat-, kata-, cata- + hīenai, to send; see yē- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A thin catheter is passed through a small incision into a blood vessel, usually in the knee or arm.”
“I am meeting with a cardiologist and will probably undergo what they call a catheter ablation to correct the SVT ...”
“The other end of the catheter is tunneled under the skin and exits from the side of the chest.”
“A catheter is inserted into the bladder, which is filled with fluid that can be seen by x-ray.”
“When can I remove the bandage after the catheter is removed?”
“A special catheter is placed into the bladder to measure the pressure while the bladder is filled with fluid.”
“Using x-ray guidance, the catheter is maneuvered to the area where the clot has formed.”
“If the clot can be treated by medication, the catheter is left at the clot site and connected to a pump that will deliver the medication at a precise rate.”
“Once the catheter is placed we will secure the tube to your child's leg with a piece or two of tape and the exam will begin.”
“After the catheter is removed, a bandage is applied to the catheter insertion site.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘catheter’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Those I've come across and try to keep fresh within my mind.
the words i'm thinking with
Words overheard in random conversation during Christmas Eve and Christmas 2007, with my extended familyâ€”and usually followed by either the exclamation that ____ is not a Christmas word, or a grea...
Looking for tweets for catheter.