from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The lower side or portion.
- n. A disadvantageous aspect: an option with a downside as well as benefits.
- n. A downward tendency, as in the price of a stock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A disadvantageous aspect of something that is normally advantageous.
- n. A downward tendency, especially in the price of shares etc
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a negative aspect of something that is generally positive
The main downside is a stiff wind from the northwest that has gusted as high as 30 to 35 mph during the day.
The main downside is some temporary muscle tenderness in the injection sites and the arguably more painful financial burden of the shot series, which comes to an estimated $1,500 per individual.
The short term downside downside is nothing compaired to the passage of this legislation.
It offers a lot more functionality in a more convenient package – the downside is the potential for a lot of application switching following links out.
Perhaps a downside is the fact that the novel plays out pretty much as expected with no real surprises, just revelations that add to the experience and general feeling of the novel.
- Creative people are less likely to take huge financial risks with their money, especially if they are yet to strike it big, so the downside is also not that bad.
And the downside is the same: an ossified repertoire.
Then decide whether this downside is a deterrent or something you could cope with.
The main downside is that there is increased complexity in your CSS since you can’t just place an image, you place this big image and then you need to add sizing and coordinate information to pull just the right piece of the master image out at each point.
The downside is that certain segments of law enforcement seem to regard the mere act of encrypting an email as evidence of criminal or even terrorist intent.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.