American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A local linguistic feature.
- n. A local custom or peculiarity.
- n. Devotion to local interests and customs.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or condition of being local or localized; limitation to a place or to a locality; also, the influence exerted by a locality.
- n. Attachment to a locality, or a peculiar limited phase of thought or feeling growing out of such attachment; provincialism; in general, any product of local influences: as, the localism of one's views or affections.
- n. A mode of speaking or acting peculiar to a place; a local idiom, phrase, or custom.
- n. countable, linguistics a linguistic feature that is unique to a locality
- n. uncountable Attachment to a particular local place; feelings or policies which emphasize local phenomena
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being local; affection for a particular place.
- n. A method of speaking or acting peculiar to a certain district; a local idiom or phrase.
- n. a partiality for some particular place
- n. a phrase or pronunciation that is peculiar to a particular locality
- local + -ism (Wiktionary)
“Peter Hetherington on whether Eric Pickles 'commitment to localism is matched by his cabinet colleagues.”
“Survival-inspired interest in localism has resonated with me especially since reading the fiction piece "Diary of an Interesting Year" by Helen Simpson, in the New Yorker's December 2009 issue, wherein a post-apocalyptic England sees a large number of deaths of -- chaos and anarchy aside -- women who weren't informed enough to carry out a home birth.”
“The government's approach in practice, however, has thus far been marked by inconsistency and incoherence, not helped by a definition of localism that is extremely elastic," the report, from the Commons communities and local government select committee, says.”
“I mean localism is a powerful message but then why impose pet policies on councils?”
“So localism is likely to lead to unequal provision.”
“The essence of localism is experiment: different communities will do things in different ways.”
“It was a pity the NP had not had the courage of its convictions to call "localism" - a core element of its new policy unveiled on”
“First, this is a government committed to local decision-making - "localism" - but it doesn't stop Eric Pickles and his ministerial team from making menacing interventions, warning councils not to do this or that.”
“Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were quite a fan of 'localism' - you know, that thing were local people, local communities and local councils decide what is best for them.”
“If he thinks localism is such a wonderful thing, let’s see Sen. Conrad endorse a similar limitation on private health insurers: confine their ability to do business to their states of domicile.”
‘localism’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for localism.