from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A local linguistic feature.
- n. A local custom or peculiarity.
- n. Devotion to local interests and customs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a linguistic feature that is unique to a locality
- n. Attachment to a particular local place; feelings or policies which emphasize local phenomena
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being local; affection for a particular place.
- n. A method of speaking or acting peculiar to a certain district; a local idiom or phrase.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or condition of being local or localized; limitation to a place or to a locality; also, the influence exerted by a locality.
- n. Attachment to a locality, or a peculiar limited phase of thought or feeling growing out of such attachment; provincialism; in general, any product of local influences: as, the localism of one's views or affections.
- n. A mode of speaking or acting peculiar to a place; a local idiom, phrase, or custom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a partiality for some particular place
- n. a phrase or pronunciation that is peculiar to a particular locality
local + -ism (Wiktionary)