American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Dejected because of a lack of companionship. See Synonyms at alone.
- adj. Producing such dejection: a lonesome hour at the bar.
- adj. Deserted; unfrequented: a lonesome valley.
- adj. Solitary; lone: a lonesome pine.
- n. Informal Self: He ate the meal all by his lonesome.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Drearily solitary; secluded from society; dejected from want of company.
- Expressing loneliness or dejection.
- Secluded; unfrequented; lonely.
- adj. unhappy due to being alone; lonely
- n. informal oneself alone
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Secluded from society; not frequented by human beings; solitary.
- adj. Conscious of, and somewhat depressed by, solitude.
- adj. marked by dejection from being alone
- adj. being the only one; single and isolated from others
- From lone + -some, mid-17th century. (Wiktionary)
“Though he talked constantly while he was with the crew, he often developed what he called lonesome feelings and disappeared for ten days at a time.”
“The cover of this book, all by it's lonesome, is enough to give you an idea of how meloncholy and misunderstood Vlad is through this story.”
“What model revolver did Gus carry in lonesome Dove? hey everybody im back”
“What model revolver did Gus carry in lonesome Dove?”
“a sea voyage, and a little scouring about in what you call the lonesome places, would do me such good!”
“That's what I call lonesome, in an eight-room flat. ”
“Like “The Matrix,” this film, if taken all by it’s lonesome, is a monument of modern science-fiction storytelling.”
“Eleanore’s Mantle "who suffers in lonesome misery due to a deadly disease brought about by what many in the story speculate as her rejection of" human sympathies "(" Lady Eleanore "326; Lee), Gervayse falls victim to a similar Tory curse — the want of social feeling.”
“Favoring Gotham as a home base for the lonesome is the fact that you can be alone in the crowd—solitary but not isolated.”
“I 'll find work enough to keep that' ere child from bein 'lonesome.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lonesome’.
words that describe sound
Typical words from Beatles song titles. Can you recreate the titles?
(Grammatical words have been omitted)
How I love that old English suffix
When there's no one else around, my greatest company is Wordie. Pathetic?
words you can sling a gun to.
Looking for tweets for lonesome.