from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who maintains loyalty to an established government, political party, or sovereign, especially during war or revolutionary change.
- n. See Tory.
- n. One who supported the established government of Spain during the Spanish Civil War.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who is loyal to a cause, generally used as a political affiliation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person who adheres to his sovereign or to the lawful authority; especially, one who maintains his allegiance to his prince or government, and defends his cause in times of revolt or revolution.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A partizan supporter of an existing government; one who opposes insurrection or revolution.
- n. Specifically, in the American Revolution, a Tory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who is loyal to their allegiance (especially in times of revolt)
Sorry, no etymologies found.