American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A petulant, bad-tempered mood; a huff.
- n. A petty quarrel or argument; a tiff.
- v. To cause to become offended or annoyed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fit of Petulant displeasure; a feeling of slight anger or resentment.
- Vexed; offended; angry.
- To give a slight offense to; displease: nearly always in the past participle: as, she was somewhat miffed.
- n. A small argument, quarrel.
- n. A state of being offended.
- v. transitive, usually used in the passive to offend slightly
- v. intransitive to become slightly offended
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A petty falling out; a tiff; a quarrel; offense.
- v. colloq. To offend slightly.
- n. a state of irritation or annoyance
- v. cause to be annoyed
- Origin uncertain. (Wiktionary)
- Possibly expressive of disgust. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“(Hey ... we used to hunt dear with sticks and pointy rocks, now look at the burdens we carry just to miff a shot.)”
“We could do courses on "picking the right cut of meat", "tending your fires", "Wood Chips, Rubs, Mops, and Sauces", and "Medium-Rare meat, just to miff the ladies".”
“It did miff me when I found out that some of the premium content like Harry Potter was only available through iTunes.”
“Why our society relegates the natural to the realm of taboo, while paying no mind to shameless violence on prime time never fails to miff me.”
“So far the talk has raged along two distinct axes: a wild litany of names and places coursing through the gossip miff, but for the record, little save shadowy, blind allegations.”
“He lurks in his Lerkim, cold under the roof, where he makes his own clothes out of miff-muffered moof.”
“Such a move would also miff top adviser George Stephanopoulos, who'd lose the one advantage of his closet-size office: its shortcut through the dining room to the Oval Office.”
“Parruntly, and hoo am Ai to kwestyun a purrfikly gud urban miff, “See Yu Nekst Toosdai” is a runnin joek in awl John Landis/Frank Oz fillums – tehy fink it wus teh werst fillum ever maed an so will maek som refrens to it in awl teihr fillums.”
“The new year has a sparked a revival of rumors that Paris Hilton is a miff-diver.”
“Oar is dis a miff promoated by the sharpie marker lobby?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘miff’.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
Words as I learn them.
"I like quesadillas!" All the fun words for the non-stop babbler's vocabulary.
Looking for tweets for miff.