from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An offering made to an adversary in the interests of peace or reconciliation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A religious sacrifice in both Jewish,Christian, and Islamic traditions.
- n. An offering made to an adversary in the hope of obtaining peace or reconciliation; an olive branch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A gift or service offered as satisfaction to an offended person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An offering that procures peace, reconciliation, or satisfaction; satisfaction offered to an offended person, especially to a superior.
- n. Specifically, an offering prescribed under the Levitical law as an expression of thanksgiving.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something offered to an adversary in the hope of obtaining peace
Sorry, no etymologies found.