from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being a peon.
- n. A system by which debtors are bound in servitude to their creditors until their debts are paid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being a peon; the system of paying back debt through servitude and labour; loosely, any system of involuntary servitude.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of a peon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A form of servitude existing in Spanish America. It prevailed especially in Mexico.
- n. The holding, by illegal methods, of free negroes or whites in a condition of semi-slavery, specifically in the southern part of the United States: also applied to the abuse of the convict lease system in the South.
- n. In India, service or employment of peons as messengers, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the practice of making a debtor work for his creditor until the debt is discharged
- n. the condition of a peon
From peon + -age. (Wiktionary)