from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In a quiet manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a quiet state or manner; without motion; in a state of rest.
- adv. Without tumult, alarm, dispute, or disturbance; peaceably
- adv. Calmly, without agitation or violent emotion; patiently.
- adv. Noiselessly; silently; without remark or violent movement; in a manner to attract little or no observation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a quiet state or manner.
- Without tumult, alarm, dispute, or disturbance; peaceably: as, to live quietly.
- Calmly; tranquilly; without agitation or violent emotion; patiently.
- In a manner to attract little or no observation; without noise: as, he quietly left the room.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. with little or no sound
- adv. with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly')
- adv. in a restful manner
- adv. with low volume
I call his name quietly at first, but he's unresponsive.
Donovan passed the word quietly to selected officers in the field: Destroy any embarrassing documents, such as currency transactions in fast-moving operations where corners had to be cut.
Then, they can hope that he'll serve out his term quietly, giving them a chance to make the Illinois electorate forget about the Blagojevich mess before he leaves.
It would be better all round, she decided, to return the label quietly, so that no one knew where it had come from.
Build another label quietly and have some imposter corporate people being the everyday face & make hitz ….
Ellen spoke the word quietly, as if she were revealing an unpleasant secret.
He stepped around her cautiously, uttering her name quietly.
The behemoth said his name quietly, calmly, but his reaction was anything but that.
I braced myself, then said the word quietly, almost in a whisper: “Shrimp.”
GUPTA: We've reached a point where some scientists are starting to use this term quietly but starting to use it, practical immortality.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.