Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a quiet state or manner. Especially— Without motion or agitation; in a state of rest.
- Without tumult, alarm, dispute, or disturbance; peaceably: as, to live quietly.
- Calmly; tranquilly; without agitation or violent emotion; patiently.
- In a manner to attract little or no observation; without noise: as, he quietly left the room.
- adv. In a quiet manner.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. In a quiet state or manner; without motion; in a state of rest.
- adv. Without tumult, alarm, dispute, or disturbance; peaceably.
- adv. Calmly, without agitation or violent emotion; patiently.
- adv. Noiselessly; silently; without remark or violent movement; in a manner to attract little or no observation.
- adv. with little or no sound
- adv. with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly')
- adv. in a restful manner
- adv. with low volume
- quiet + -ly (Wiktionary)
“I call his name quietly at first, but he's unresponsive.”
“Donovan passed the word quietly to selected officers in the field: Destroy any embarrassing documents, such as currency transactions in fast-moving operations where corners had to be cut.”
“Then, they can hope that he'll serve out his term quietly, giving them a chance to make the Illinois electorate forget about the Blagojevich mess before he leaves.”
“It would be better all round, she decided, to return the label quietly, so that no one knew where it had come from.”
“Build another label quietly and have some imposter corporate people being the everyday face & make hitz ….”
“Ellen spoke the word quietly, as if she were revealing an unpleasant secret.”
“He stepped around her cautiously, uttering her name quietly.”
“The behemoth said his name quietly, calmly, but his reaction was anything but that.”
“I braced myself, then said the word quietly, almost in a whisper: “Shrimp.””
“GUPTA: We've reached a point where some scientists are starting to use this term quietly but starting to use it, practical immortality.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘quietly’.
Ever get stuck with the random bunch of letters and a q and not know any words? Well, maybe this will help.
Very basic words for ESL students.
abandon,extreme e..., abash,to humiliate, abate,to lessen, abbreviate,to sho..., abridge, abdicate,to forma..., aberration,depart..., abnormality, abet,to encourage, abhor,to hate, abide,to follow o..., abject,utterly ho... and 2228 more...
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
alleviate,to lighten, altercation,a qua..., amicable,friendly, ambiguous,vague, put something to ..., unclear, adaptation,A comp..., albatross,a signi..., indifferent, cordial nature, to mitigate, affinity,a natura... and 2229 more...
abandon,extreme e..., dispensing of all..., abash,to humiliate, abate,to lessen, abbreviate,to sho..., abridge, abdicate,to forma..., aberration,depart..., abnormality, abet,to encourage, abhor,to hate, abide,to follow o... and 2229 more...
Dostoevsky's alternatives for 'said' and spruce-ilious adverbs
from the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation
Looking for tweets for quietly.