American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A colorless artificial gem of paste or glass, often with facets that sparkle in imitation of a diamond.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An imitation stone made of paste or strass (a lead glass), generally cut in the form of brilliant and made and cut to imitate the diamond, set usually in silver or other inexpensive mounting. Rhinestones were extensively worn in the latter part of the eighteenth century, and are now much used in shoebuckles, clasps, and ornaments for the hair.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A colorless stone of high luster, made of paste. It is much used as an inexpensive ornament.
- n. an imitation diamond made from rock crystal or glass or paste
- A calque of French caillou du Rhin ("Rhine pebble"). (Wiktionary)
- After the Rhine (translation of French caillou du Rhin : caillou, pebble + du, of the + Rhin, Rhine). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“MCC supporters please google: mccain rhinestone hero before you vote for mc??????”
“May 19th, 2008 10: 27 am ET mcc supporters, please google: mccain rhinestone hero”
“Pleased but bewildered, Mrs. Terriberry read of herself as "queenly in gray satin and diamonds," being unable to place the diamonds until she recalled the rhinestone comb in her back hair which sparkled with the doubtful brilliancy of a row of alum cubes.”
“The rhinestone which is placed in the middle of the front side is the flashy highlight.”
“The Black Eyed Peas donned oversized mirrored eyewear, leather-like bodysuits and rhinestone- encrusted microphones befitting Michael Jackson impersonators.”
“She appeared just as I remembered her, dressed in a poufy pink princess dress with a little rhinestone tiara plopped on her messy blond head.”
“Steven Tyler, who can outdo Jennifer Lopez in the glam department, took one look when McDonald first wore the rhinestone suit on the show and said, "Hey, man, what were you doing in my closet?”
“TV Guide Magazine: What does it cost to dry clean that rhinestone suit?”
“Long before auditioning for Idol, McDonald asked Nashville's Manny Cuevas to design something he'd always wanted: A rhinestone suit.”
“We had black skirts with plain blue tops for Friday, which we could pair with the large blue thong sandals and wear again on Saturday with jeans and the rhinestone top.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rhinestone’.
you name the setting
I've tuned mine to be gentler and kinder
following suit is not mandatory but would be appreciated
being words from Tom Waits songs.
For stuff to simply reside.
I so desperately want a craft room.
Looking for tweets for rhinestone.