from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
- n. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The belief that people of one sex or gender are inherently superior to people of the other sex or gender.
- n. Unfair treatment or discrimination based on a difference of sex or gender.
- n. Disadvantage or unequal opportunity arising from the cultural dominance of one gender over the other.
- n. Promotion or expectation or assumption of people to behave in accordance with or deviate from a gender role.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of the opposite sex
sex + -ism (Wiktionary)