American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
- n. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.
- n. The belief that people of one sex or gender are inherently superior to people of the other sex or gender.
- n. Unfair treatment or discrimination based on a difference of sex or gender.
- n. Disadvantage or unequal opportunity arising from the cultural dominance of one gender over the other.
- n. Promotion or expectation or assumption of people to behave in accordance with or deviate from a gender role.
- n. discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of the opposite sex
- sex + -ism (Wiktionary)
“The Hillary Nutcracker yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'The Hillary Nutcracker'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: Is it sexism, \'sexism lite\' or just a castrated media? ”
“Once again sexism is alive and well in the "situation room”
“During the early 1970s, the word sexism was unfamiliar to many people.”
“Forcing people to recognize that the term sexism encompasses sexist attitudes and actions against men is the very first baby step towards making this happen.”
“And a woman's group in London lashes out at what it calls sexism in the city -- the practice of businesses entertaining clients at strip clubs.”
“The latest tactic "sexism", is going to just add more fuel to the fire she has purposely set that burns hotter every day!!”
“Rampant sexism is #5 on the list of fourteen defining characteristics of fascism.”
“And actually, the expression of them through terrible instances of sexism is not a step backwards.”
“Anecdotes on the internet will hardly convince anyone that sexism is truly rampant in the workplace so how about some economic logic?”
“I strongly suspect that overt sexism is not the cause of this.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sexism’.
Use these and get promoted
how sex is used
devout sex, the, fair (also gentle..., fairer (also gent..., have sex (with), to, organ of sex, second sex, the, sex-abolitionist, sex-abusing, sex act, sex activity, sex addict, sex addiction and 233 more...
Words from the book by Jane Jacobs.
I don't get it.
Matters of human exceptionalism, exclusivity, and 'types of'. (It's a sister list to "Name-Calling Humans".)
Looking for tweets for sexism.