from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Slender or graceful in figure or outline; slim.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Attractively thin; gracefully slender.
- adj. refined, delicate
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being of delicate or slender build
- adj. moving and bending with ease
- adj. showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience
French, from Italian svelto, from past participle of svellere, to stretch out, from Vulgar Latin *exvellere, from Latin ēvellere : ē, ex-, ex- + vellere, to pull.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French svelte, from Italian svelto ("stretched out"), from Vulgar Latin exvellere: ex + vellere ("to pluck, stretch"). (Wiktionary)