from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To remove a plug from.
- transitive v. To free from an obstruction.
- transitive v. To remove (an electric plug) from an outlet.
- transitive v. To disconnect (an electric appliance) by removing a plug from an outlet.
- intransitive v. To become unplugged.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To disconnect from a supply, especially an electrical socket.
- v. To remove a blockage from (especially a water pipe or drain).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To remove a plug from. See unplugged.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. pull the plug of (electrical appliances) and render inoperable
If you can, try turning the amplifier off (don't unplug from the power socket).
But the constant connectivity that is synonymous with modern life is at odds with the goals of most artists colonies: You go there to unplug from the world.
No go unplug from the computer, turn off your tea party forums and go to a library and find some archives and check out the timeline of Iran/Iraq and our meddling.
Time away helped him unplug from the competitive showbiz world and reconnect with real life.
In my opinion solar power is the established energy providers worst nightmare because in a lot of circumstances most of us could unplug from the grid or drastically reduce our dependence on the grid.
Essays like this - Technology, The Movie - are the reason I can't unplug from the net.
Dems need to get their act together and unplug from the left if they ever have any hope of winning again.
Then at least let us unplug from the televisions that lull us into dreams that we might win a lottery or fame as a star on TV.
I believe that examining the hidden impacts of all the Stuff in our lives is a way to unplug, which is the first step toward changing things.
As an antidote for declining intelligence, Shlain urges us to "unplug".
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.