from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To sway from one side to the other; oscillate.
- intransitive v. To swing indecisively from one course of action or opinion to another. See Synonyms at hesitate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To sway unsteadily from one side to the other; oscillate.
- v. To swing indecisively from one course of action or opinion to another.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To move one way and the other; to reel or stagger; to waver.
- intransitive v. To fluctuate in mind or opinion; to be unsteady or inconstant; to waver.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To waver; move one way and the other; reel; stagger.
- To fluctuate in mind or opinion; waver; be irresolute or inconstant.
- Synonyms and Waver, Oscillate, etc. (see fluctuate), sway.
- To hesitate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be undecided about something; waver between conflicting positions or courses of action
- v. move or sway in a rising and falling or wavelike pattern
The word vacillate means “to be indecisive … to sway from side to side.”
Versions of the words "vacillate" and "indecisive" were much more in evidence on the McCain campaign conference call this morning than in past calls.
And let's face it - as military family members we often vacillate between reaching out and pulling back abruptly when no one grabs the hand we've extended.
I vacillate between dark and amusingly self-absorbed …
You seem to vacillate between “this is my preference, i.e. what is good for me” and “this is what is good for everyone”.
A set of forks, flanking a plate of fish, vacillate between threatening weapons and frail hands.
OrenWithAnE: Every time we have this discussion you vacillate between “the US has nothing to fear from the ICC” and “it would defeat the point to exempt the US from the ICC”.
Every time we have this discussion you vacillate between “the US has nothing to fear from the ICC” and “it would defeat the point to exempt the US from the ICC”.
And after watching his career vacillate so unpredictably for so many years, what is Drama's next move after the TV movie you know, the one that Vince had to buy for him?
"Mommy maybe we shouldn't read anymore" I vacillate about whether we are helping or handicapping our kids by sheltering them.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.