from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Qualitative or quantitative analysis of a metal or ore to determine its components.
- noun A substance to be so analyzed.
- noun The result of such an analysis.
- noun A bioassay.
- noun An analysis or examination.
- noun Archaic An attempt; an essay.
- intransitive verb To subject (a metal, for example) to chemical analysis so as to determine the strength or quality of its components.
- intransitive verb To bioassay.
- intransitive verb To examine by trial or experiment; put to a test.
- intransitive verb To evaluate; assess.
- intransitive verb To attempt; try.
- intransitive verb To be shown by analysis to contain a certain proportion of usually precious metal.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To examine by trial; put to test or trial; try the effect or merit of: as, to
- Specifically To make trial of or analyze, as an ore or metallic compound, with the view of determining the proportion of a particular metal present in it.
- To attempt; endeavor; essay: often with an infinitive as object.
- To endeavor to influence.
- To affect; move.
- To make an attempt or endeavor; try.
- noun Examination; trial; attempt; essay.
- noun Hence Trial by danger; risk; adventure.
- noun Trial; tribulation; affiiction.
- noun The trial of the purity, weight, etc., of metals or metallic substances, as ores and alloys; any operation or experiment for ascertaining the quantity of a precious metal in an ore or a mineral, or in coin or bullion. See
- noun The substance to be assayed. Ure.
- noun In law, an examination of weights and measures by the standard. Cowell.
- noun Formerly, the act or custom of tasting the food or drink intended for another, as a king, before presenting it.
- noun Value; ascertained purity: as, “stones of rich assay,”
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- intransitive verb Archaic. In this sense essay is now commonly used. To attempt, try, or endeavor.
- noun obsolete Trial; attempt; essay.
- noun obsolete Examination and determination; test.
- noun obsolete Trial by danger or by affliction; adventure; risk; hardship; state of being tried.
- noun obsolete Tested purity or value.
- noun (Metallurgy) The act or process of ascertaining the proportion of a particular metal in an ore or alloy; especially, the determination of the proportion of gold or silver in bullion or coin.
- noun The alloy or metal to be assayed.
- noun an officer who assays or tests gold or silver coin or bullion.
- noun a weight of 29,1662/3 grams.
- transitive verb Obs. or Archaic To try; to attempt; to apply.
- transitive verb obsolete To affect.
- transitive verb obsolete To try tasting, as food or drink.
- transitive verb To subject, as an ore, alloy, or other metallic compound, to chemical or metallurgical examination, in order to determine the amount of a particular metal contained in it, or to ascertain its composition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
trial, attempt, essay.
- noun the
qualitativeor quantitative chemical analysisof something
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a substance that is undergoing an analysis of its components
- verb make an effort or attempt
- noun a written report of the results of an analysis of the composition of some substance
- verb analyze (chemical substances)
- noun a quantitative or qualitative test of a substance (especially an ore or a drug) to determine its components; frequently used to test for the presence or concentration of infectious agents or antibodies etc.
- noun an appraisal of the state of affairs
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
I. ii.18 (375,1) By no assay of reason] Bring it to the _test_, examine it by reason as we examine metals by the _assay_, it will be found counterfeit by all trials.
The next writer whose work I've decided to assay is Stanislaw Lem.
The flow cytometry based DHR assay is used to evaluate the oxidative metabolism of phagocytes.
The seven participants tested so far breathe for ten minutes into a commercially available handheld device, which cools the air, forming a condensed vapor, to which the methylation assay is applied.
Essayer is the French verb meaning "to try" (the cousin of our word assay), and an "essai" is an effort.
The aim of this study was to assess if the use of a longer term assay and the analysis of multiple cytokines would enhance diagnosis of active TB in a TB-endemic population.
The word assay has appeared in two New York Times articles in the past year, including on Dec. 14, 2009, in Flies Get Tipsy and Aid the
The aim of this study was to assess if the use of a longer term assay and the analysis of multiple cytokines would enhance diagnosis of active TB in a
Thrice he the sword assay'd, and thrice the flood;
Thrice he the sword assayd, and thrice the flood;
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.