from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The act of conforming or the state of being conformed.
- noun The structure or outline of an item or entity, determined by the arrangement of its parts.
- noun A symmetrical arrangement of the parts of a thing.
- noun One of the spatial arrangements of atoms in a molecule that can come about through free rotation of the atoms about a chemical bond.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The manner in which a body is formed; the particular texture or structure of a body, or the arrangement and relation of the parts which compose it; form; structure.
- noun The act of conforming or adjusting; the act of producing suitableness or conformity: with to.
- noun The becoming similar in respect of form; approach or reduction to formal resemblance: said of words.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of conforming; the act of producing conformity.
- noun The state of being conformed; agreement; hence; structure, as depending on the arrangement of parts; form; arrangement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The act of conforming; the act of producing
- noun The state of being conformed;
agreement; hence; structure, as depending on the arrangementof parts; form; arrangement.
- noun chemistry The spatial
arrangementof the atomsin a moleculeas a result of rotationabout a single bond
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a symmetrical arrangement of the parts of a thing
- noun acting according to certain accepted standards
- noun any spatial attributes (especially as defined by outline)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I still vote for the Madagascar Fossa - the conformation is an excellent fit.
Knowledge of the conformation is therefore of great importance for explaining or predicting the mode of reaction of a certain molecule.
The conformation is extremely close to what I remember.
How proteins fold into their ideal conformation is a question that has tantalized scientists for decades.
Obviously, such a conformation is fraught with difficulties, We must take issue with those who claim that the fact of our two founding peoples is somehow a myth.
The conformation is of great importance for the mode of reaction of the molecules.
The conformation is the shape, which the molecule really assumes, utilizing the flexibility.
What is then the conformation, which is of interest here to-day?
The nut must be of fair size, of good flavor, thin to medium thickness of shell, well filled, and of good cracking quality -- that is, the conformation of the shell and kernel must be such that a large percentage of the kernels can be taken out as whole halves, and the convolutions of the kernels must be wide enough that the partitions do not adhere to them.
One recalling the conformation of this country, with its three and a half millions of inhabitants, can easily understand that although fused into a solid political union, and although recognizable amongst the other northern nations by certain traits peculiar to the inhabitants of all its provinces, it must nevertheless present a great variety.