from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Combined into a single entity.
- adj. Concerned with, produced by, or resulting from mutual action.
- adj. Being in harmony; agreed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of unite.
- adj. Joined into a single entity.
- adj. Involving the joint activity of multiple agents.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Combined; joined; made one.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Joined or combined; made one; made to agree; allied; harmonious: as, a united household.
- In Roman Catholic usage, noting those communities which have separated from Oriental churches and united with the Roman Catholic Church in what it holds to be essential, but preserve an individual and distinctive church organization, acknowledging the supremacy of the Pope, and accepting the doctrinal decisions of the Roman Catholic Church, while retaining to some extent their ancient liturgy, rites, discipline, and usages.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by unity; being or joined into a single entity
- adj. of or relating to two people who are married to each other
The term united is not part of a proper name, but is simply an adjective qualifying States, and has its full and proper sense.
It seems unlikely that these distinct groups can remain united under one political banner.
Posted in united states by Karaka on 25 January 2010 Via Yglesias via James Fallows, a Fake is the New Real thought [...]
Fewer than 100 people were tried in united Germany for alleged crimes committed as part of the East German system, and most of them were given probation.
They want it to pass, but for whatever reason have calculated their best political bet is to stand in united opposition against it.
The U.N. delegation is visiting Sudan for talks on the referendum, which will allow southern Sudanese to decide whether to remain united with the north or form an independent nation.
Being united by common principles and engaging in united action, we will achieve the following goals:
With 60 votes, how was the fillibuster possible, unless the Dems aren't united, is that a good sign?
Ron Schatzberg of the Tel Aviv-based Economic Cooperation Foundation said most of the Israeli public understands that the dream of keeping Jerusalem united is unrealistic.
June 21st, 2009 3: 22 pm ET people could care less in united states what happens over there. they made their bed not lay in it