from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Heraldry A tabard or surcoat blazoned with bearings.
- n. An arrangement of bearings, usually depicted on and around a shield, that indicates ancestry and distinctions.
- n. A representation of bearings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. hereditary designs and symbols depicted on an escutcheon, sometimes accompanied by other elements of a heraldic achievement, such as a helm, crest, crest coronet, torse, mantling and supporters; described by a blazon
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a translation of the French cotte d'armes, a garment of light material worn over the armor in the 15th and 16th centuries. This was often charged with the heraldic bearings of the wearer. Hence, an heraldic achievement; the bearings of any person, taken together.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the official symbols of a family, state, etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.