from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small flat round of bread, baked on a griddle and usually served toasted.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of savoury cake, typically flat and round, made from batter and yeast, containing many small holes and served toasted, usually with butter.
- n. A person (or, collectively, persons) considered sexually desirable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of large, thin, unsweetened muffin or cake, light and spongy, and cooked on a griddle or spider, or sometimes toasted.
- n. a sexually attractive woman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sort of tea-cake, less light and spongy than the muffin, and usually toasted for eating.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thick soft cake with a porous texture; cooked on a griddle
Possibly from Middle English crompid (cake), curled (cake), probably past participle of crumpen, to curl up, probably from crumb, crump, crooked, from Old English.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
17th century, either from crompid cake ("wafer, literally, curled-up cake"), from crompid, form of crumpen ("to curl up"); cognate to crumpled. Alternate etymology is from Celtic; compare Breton krampoez ("thin, flat cake"). (Wiktionary)