from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small flat round of bread, baked on a griddle and usually served toasted.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of savoury cake, typically flat and round, made from batter and yeast, containing many small holes and served toasted, usually with butter.
- n. A person (or, collectively, persons) considered sexually desirable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of large, thin, unsweetened muffin or cake, light and spongy, and cooked on a griddle or spider, or sometimes toasted.
- n. a sexually attractive woman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sort of tea-cake, less light and spongy than the muffin, and usually toasted for eating.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thick soft cake with a porous texture; cooked on a griddle
Those from the Midlands and north will say that what I call a crumpet is a pikelet.
You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket! fostert says:
You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!
You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket! mangoshakes
That...and I just like saying the word crumpet, it's an awesome word.
Leaving here without a crumpet should be a felony, but the whimsically illustrated menu signage is full of other delicious non-crumpet items.
So "crumpet" may be a corruption of _crumpâte_ a paste made of fine flour, slightly baked.
Ways with words: Dame Joan Bakewell says 'crumpet' title held her down
It derives from the slang "crumpet" to refer to a woman who is regarded as an object of sexual desire, which is itself an association with the crumpet, a baked product usually eaten warm after being butter.
It's a handy one to bear in mind, as it only requires an hour's rise before cooking, but it's rather more like a homely little crumpet than anything from the mysterious east.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.