from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man's dress coat or suit coat with knee-length skirts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A long double-breasted coat with long skirts, worn by men, now only on formal occasions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a body coat for men, usually double-breasted, the skirts not being in one piece with the body, but sewed on so as to be somewhat full.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A body-coat, usually double-breasted and with a full skirt, worn by men: opposed to sack-coat, which has no skirt, and to cutaway, with short and tapering skirt. See coat, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man's coat having knee-length skirts front and back; worn in the 19th century
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.