from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A powerful blow with the fist.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person or machine which harvests or prepares tall grass for use as animal fodder.
- n. A particularly powerful punch, especially one which knocks down an opponent, thrown like a scythe chop for cutting hay, as agricultural haymakers used to have strong arms.
- n. Any decisive blow, shock, or forceful action.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who cuts and cures hay.
- n. A machine for curing hay in rainy weather.
- n. A forceful punch that results in someone being knocked down or knocked out.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who cuts and dries grass for use as fodder; specifically, in England, one who follows the mowers and tosses the grass over to dry it.
- n. An apparatus for drying and curing hay.
- n. plural A kind of country-dance. Also called haymakers' jig.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hard punch that renders the opponent unable to continue boxing
- n. a farm machine that treats hay to cause more rapid and even drying
Sorry, no etymologies found.
MM, a haymaker is a wild punch or a piece of machinery.
Then the Wolves took a haymaker from the Pacers in the first 14 minutes.
It was one of those blows that is often described as a haymaker, and it made hay.
The "almighty" force of what most witnesses described as an open-handed slap - one spoke of a "haymaker" - hurled him off his feet.
In the case of Mitt Romney, it was because of the "Sunday punch" John McCain had landed -- the "haymaker" in fact, on Super Tuesday.
According to Marquez, Chasse was punched three or four times in the face with "haymaker" punches by one police officer, and kicked three to four times in the back of his head by the other cop, "with enough force to punt a football."
And your "haymaker" in this argument is naming a grand total of SIX news anchors / talking heads as registered Dems?
He went on to throw what was described as a "haymaker" type punch at PC Robert Forbes, striking him a heavy blow to the face.
Guvnor leant over the counter – no screens or CCTV in those days – grabbed Mr Pissed with one hand and planted a haymaker on his chin with the other.
In frustration, she reverted to her old style and threw a massive haymaker at him.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.