from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having only one syllable.
- adj. Characterized by or consisting of monosyllables.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Consisting of one syllable.
- adj. Using monosyllables, speaking in monosyllables; curt.
- n. a word consisting of one syllable
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being a monosyllable, or composed of monosyllables
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of one syllable: as, a monosyllabic word.
- Consisting of words of one syllable: as, a monosyllabic verse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or characterized by or consisting of one syllable
From Late Latin monosyllabicus, from Latin monosyllabus, from Hellenistic Ancient Greek μονοσύλλαβος. (Wiktionary)