from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A distance between the rails of a railroad track that is less than the standard width of 56 1/2 inches (143.5 centimeters).
- n. A locomotive, car, or railway line of this gauge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A railway gauge (distance between the two lines) that is less than the standard gauge (often quoted as 56 inches)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See Note under Gauge, n., 6.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a railroad track (or its width) narrower than the standard 56.5 inches
Sorry, no etymologies found.