from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not belonging to a labor union: nonunion plumbers.
- adj. Not recognizing or dealing with a labor union or employing union members: a nonunion shop.
- n. The failure of a fractured bone to heal normally.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not part of a labor union; not unionized.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not belonging to, or affiliated with, a trades union.
- adj. Not employing trade union members; not recognizing or favoring trades unions or trades-unionists.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not belonging to a trades-union: as, a non-union man.
- That does not submit to the rules or the dictation of a trade-union; not employing union men as such, and exclusively: as, a non-union shop.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not belonging to or not allowing affiliation with a trade union
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This is why overall labor costs are lower in nonunion auto plants than in union auto plants.
Plant workers blame Washington for higher gasoline prices, which hurt demand for automobiles; for spending money on Iraq that could be spent at home; and for failing, as they see it, to stop illegal immigrants from taking jobs in nonunion shops.
The UAW is discussing a German-style works council for a nonunion Volkswagen plant in Tennessee.
There will also be much more diversity in educational offerings, and money and jobs will flow out of the (unionized) regular schools into new (nonunion) providers of online options.
While the industry's revenue has grown 28% since 2006, when wireless employment peaked at 207,000 workers, its mostly nonunion work force has shrunk about 20%.
The National Mediation Board in recent weeks ruled that the elections for about 20,000 flight attendants and 700 stock clerks were fair, keeping them nonunion.
The decision also keeps Delta as the only major U.S. airline that is largely nonunion.
The National Mediation Board's ruling affirms an employee vote in 2010 that kept the 13,000 Delta baggage and freight handlers nonunion.
The NLRB in April alleged Boeing illegally retaliated against union workers by shifting union jobs in Washington state to a nonunion plant in South Carolina, where Boeing built a 787 Dreamliner jet production line.
The machinists union released internal Boeing Co. documents that it says bolster the National Labor Relations Board's high-profile case accusing the aerospace giant of illegally shifting union work in Washington state to a nonunion factory in South Carolina.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.