American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To go with light running steps; scamper.
- v. To flurry or swirl about.
- n. The act of scurrying.
- n. The noise produced by scurrying.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hurry along; move hastily and precipitately; scamper.
- n. Hurry; fluttering or bustling haste.
- n. A flurry.
- n. In sporting, a short race run for amusement by inferior horses or non-winners.
- v. To run away with quick light steps, to scamper.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To hasten away or along; to move rapidly; to hurry.
- n. Act of scurrying; hurried movement.
- n. rushing about hastily in an undignified way
- v. to move about or proceed hurriedly
- Perhaps from hurry-skurry, a reduplication of hurry. (Wiktionary)
- Probably short for hurry-scurry. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It was impossible even for the enemy press and the various spokesmen and apologists of the racist regime to ignore the united actions of the African and Coloured youth in Cape Town whose mighty step down the streets of that city caused the racist white minority [to] scurry from the scene like frightened rats into their holes. 43”
“Randy, don’t you know that citing the text of the actual LAW, The Intelligence Identity Protection Act of 1982, makes the giddy leftist Bush haters scurry from the light like cockroaches?”
“` The Thiefmaker tried to let a vaguely sincere expression scurry onto his face, where it froze in evident discomfort. ”
“I had just returned from a "scurry" among the Comanches of Western Texas, and the idea of "settling down" was as far from my mind as ever.”
“I've been an AR member for a while, but just recently started blogging and commenting on other's posts ... and it can be "scurry".”
“But a scurry of moccasins and loud cries, rounded off with a pistol-shot, interrupted the discussion.”
“Friday: The sun remains front and center in the morning, but by afternoon, clouds start to scurry in on brisk west winds.”
“Morning smiles; the sun stares down with its big white eye and I scurry home in search for a dark crevice to press my body into.”
“If I approached them, they would scurry into the woods, where they were impossible to find.”
“And just as soon as the goobers find out that Liberals are at least as well armed as they are, they; ll scurry back to their basements and hide.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scurry’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
words describing fast action or movement
( open list, randomness, descriptive )
Good for poetry, or just artistic on their own.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Words to describe gait and movement.
Names for Groups of Animals.
clever madeupicals and human groups are fine.
( open list, randomness )
swarm, herd, flock, group, pack, school, shoal, click, gang, army, colony, tribe and 63 more...
Words as I learn them.
Daily Vocab List
Looking for tweets for scurry.