from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A distinct group within a group; a subdivision of a group.
- n. A subordinate group.
- n. Mathematics A group that is a subset of a group.
- transitive v. To divide into subgroups.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group within a larger group; a group whose members are some, but not all, of the members of a larger group.
- n. A subset H of a group G that is itself a group and has the same binary operation as G.
- v. To divide or classify into subgroups
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A subdivision of a group, as of animals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any subordinate group in classification; a subdivision of a group; especially, a division the name of which begins with sub-, as subfamily or subgenus.
- n. A mathematical group forming part of another group.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (mathematics) a subset (that is not empty) of a mathematical group
- n. a distinct and often subordinate group within a group
sub- + group (Wiktionary)