from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The event or time of the daily first appearance of the sun above the eastern horizon.
- n. An outset or emergence: the sunrise of classical art and sculpture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The time of day when the sun appears above the eastern horizon.
- n. The change in color of the sky at dawn.
- n. Any great awakening.
- adj. Pertaining to an unusually early time of day.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The first appearance of the sun above the horizon in the morning; more generally, the time of such appearance, whether in fair or cloudy weather.
- n. Hence, the region where the sun rises; the east.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The rise or first appearance of the upper limb of the sun above the horizon in the morning; also, the atmospheric phenomena accompanying the rising of the sun; the time of such appearance, whether in fair or cloudy weather; morning.
- n. The region or place where the sun rises; the east: as, to travel toward the sunrise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of an industry or technology; new and developing
- n. atmospheric phenomena accompanying the daily appearance of the sun
- n. the first light of day
- n. the daily event of the sun rising above the horizon
Compound of sun + rise (Wiktionary)