from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To deal a sharp blow to; slap.
- n. A sharp blow; a slap.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To beat off, as insects; to bat, strike, or hit.
- n. A hard stroke, hit or blow, e.g., as part of a spanking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- imp. of sweat.
- n. a sharp blow, especially one made with an instrument in the hand.
- n. a powerful hit, especially a home run.
- n. a former state in Northwest India, now a part of Pakistan. It was ruled by a prince called a Wali.
- transitive v. to hit, especially with an instrument in the hand; to smack.
- transitive v. to hit (a baseball) powerfully, and for a long distance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An old and dialectal form of sweat.
- An old and dialectal (Scotch) preterit of sweat.
- To strike; hit.
- To work hard; toil; dig; grind.
- n. A blow.
- n. A difficult task; a hard job.
- n. One who works hard; a dig; a grind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. hit swiftly with a violent blow
- n. a sharp blow
I don’t think they give a rat’s ass over Iran’s nuclear ambitions but they care DEARLY about anything that could cause finacial pain ie a oil embargo OR a war-induced one and they will not take kindly to any nation that would cause this. we may be able to swat Iran cuz they are small and ‘weak’, but mark my works, someone is going to ’swat’ us right back…
Making physical contact doesn't mean you are torturing them, it doesn't mean you are hitting them as hard as I would hit you, and it doesn't do them any harm as a swat is just like squirting them with water except they know it's you doing it.
A quick swat is much different that repeated hitting on the bottom.
Oklahoma's Jason Detrick and Hollis Price find out when Greg Newton, Jared Jeffries and Newton again swat three consecutive shots in one breathless stretch late in the first half.
I stumbled over the fallen coon who had pivoted me, ducked a swat from a club, dived between a bull's legs, and was free.
Then they heard a second and that's when they called the swat team to check it out.
And the time between the hiss and the swat was a nano second.
Jason Fitzpatrick: Kicking the crap out of an animal is one thing, giving it a swat is another.
She isn't a good enough fighter to give him a swat, which is what she needs to do.
I wouldn't call a swat on the butt abuse, but it wasn't his place.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.