from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An inedible or poisonous fungus with an umbrella-shaped fruiting body.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any inedible or poisonous mushroom, especially an agaric.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A name given to many umbrella-shaped fungi, mostly of the genus Agaricus. The species are almost numberless. They grow on decaying organic matter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common name for numerous umbrella-shaped fungi which grow abundantly on decaying vegetable matter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common name for an inedible or poisonous agaric (contrasting with the edible mushroom)
Middle English tadde (toad), from Old English tadie, of unknown origin; + Middle English stole (stool), from Old English stol, from Proto-Germanic *stolaz, from Proto-Indo-European *sta-lo-, locative of Proto-Indo-European base *sta- (to stand). (Wiktionary)