from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A plant whose stem does not produce woody, persistent tissue and generally dies back at the end of each growing season.
- n. Any of various often aromatic plants used especially in medicine or as seasoning.
- n. Slang Marijuana.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any green, leafy plant, or parts thereof, used to flavor or season food.
- n. Plant whose roots, leaves or seeds, etc. are used in medicine.
- n. Marijuana.
- n. A plant whose stem is not woody and does not persist beyond each growing season
Middle English herbe, from Old French erbe, from Latin herba.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ultimately from Latin herba. (Wiktionary)