from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A structure of open latticework, especially one used as a support for vines and other creeping plants.
- n. An arbor or arch made of latticework.
- transitive v. To provide with a trellis, especially to train (a vine) on a trellis.
- transitive v. To make (something) in the form of a trellis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An outdoor garden frame which can be used for partitioning a common area.
- n. An outdoor garden frame which can be used to grow vines or other climbing plants.
- n. A kind of graph used in communication theory and encryption.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A structure or frame of crossbarred work, or latticework, used for various purposes, as for screens or for supporting plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To furnish with trellises or trellis-work; especially, to support or train on trellises: as, to trellis a vine.
- To form into trellis-work; interlace; interweave.
- n. A structure of light cross-bars, as of wood, nailed together where they cross one another, or of thin ribbons of metal, or of wire imitating this.
- n. A shed, canopy, summer-house, or the like composed, or partly composed, of trellis-work. Such buildings are utilized especially for the support of growing vines.
- n. In heraldry, same as treille or lattice, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. latticework used to support climbing plants
- v. train on a trellis, as of a vine
The trellis is just on the edge of our lot, and the flowers would be planted in our neighbour's grass, and she's a bit particular about her grass.
Make sure that the stick or trellis is in firm and upright; then plant your peas, pretty thick, and not
If you’d like to grow climbing vegetables in a small space, this simple DIY vegetable trellis is an excellent compliment to a small garden.
As for covering up the electrical panel..... the trellis is a great idea.
Just there climbing over, and falling over a trellis was a trumpet vine.
Just to the left of the kitchen wing is a little plot shut in by privet bushes and a trellis, which is where he says the _fine herbes_ are meant to grow.
Beyond the trellis was a small, lonely garden; beyond the garden was a large, vague, woody space, where a few piles of old timber were disposed, and which he afterwards learned to be a relic of the shipbuilding era described to him by Doctor Prance; and still beyond this again was the charming lake-like estuary he had already admired.
I begin to know what the joy of the grape-vine is in running up the trellis, which is similar to that of the squirrel in running up a tree.
The vine of Christian ministry is people; the trellis is the various organizational structures that exist for the health of the vine.
The trellis is a three bar affair with two of the bars structured from a single piece of steel wire, rounded at the top to shape an arch, ends of the bar extend to for the base for placing the trellis into soil.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.