from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is employed to stand guard or keep watch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A guard who keeps watch
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One set to watch; a person who keeps guard; a guard; a sentinel.
- n. Specifically, one who guards a building, or the streets of a city, by night.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person set to keep watch; specifically, a sentinel; a guard; one who guards the streets of a city by night; also, one set to keep guard, as over a building in the night, to protect it from fire or thieves.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a guard who keeps watch
Sorry, no etymologies found.