American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Accustomed or used: "The poor man is wont to complain that this is a cold world” ( Henry David Thoreau).
- adj. Likely: chaotic as holidays are wont to be.
- n. Customary practice; usage. See Synonyms at habit.
- v. To make accustomed to.
- v. To be in the habit of doing something.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Accustomed; in the habit; habituated; using or doing customarily.
- Obsolete preterit of won.
- To be accustomed or habituated; use; be used.
- To dwell; make one's home.
- To accustom; habituate.
- n. Custom; habit; practice; way.
- An obsolete form of want.
- n. A variant of want.
- n. One’s habitual way of doing things, practice, custom.
- adj. archaic Accustomed or used (to or with a thing).
- adj. designating habitual behaviour Accustomed, apt (to doing something).
- v. transitive, archaic To make (someone) used to; to accustom.
- v. intransitive, archaic To be accustomed.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Using or doing customarily; accustomed; habituated; used.
- n. Custom; habit; use; usage.
- v. To be accustomed or habituated; to be used.
- v. To accustom; -- used reflexively.
- n. an established custom
- Old English ġewunod, past participle of ġewunian. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, past participle of wonen, to be used to, dwell; see won1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Not only did Obama refute that case with the FedX, UPS example, the bigger proof that it wont is Universities.”
“I think thats the point they were trying to make … Palin wont be interviewing them.”
“Here is proof that Clinton and McCain wont do what they say they will on the campaign.”
“He was even attacked by Hillary and he stilled just smiled and congradulated her now He is trying to bring the party togather and it seems they wont budge just like the color of his skin wont budge his skin color is such a problem they would rether join the devil”
“McCain wont even fund the wounded vets coming home. franco”
“May 13th, 2008 7: 38 pm ET obama, his supporters and the media has caused this problem so deal with it now McCain wont be as bad as bush and everyone knows this at least he will put all americans 1st”
“May 6th, 2008 7: 06 pm ET ya think?!?!?!? that's what happens when you use Rovian tactics and have the likes of mark penn on your team-creeps with no integrity, cheat if you have to, do whatever it takes. fooled us once shame on you george bush, fooled us twice shame on us and you again, mccain ... wont get fooled again!!!”
“If for one second you believe that McCain wont be more of the same then it's about time that you wake up from your hypnosis!”
“Hillary remembers them, Obama remembers them, and McCain wont did not vote for the Webb/Hagel GI bill.”
“Joe: Jindal wont be VP because McCain wont be President.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wont’.
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words - or different usages of words I already knew - that I am learning thanks to Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.
See also ofravens' with thanks to Anne Shirley.
From Notre Dame de Paris by good ole Victor Hugo. (Also called The Hunchback of Notre Dame.)
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Looking for tweets for wont.