from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A female horse or the female of other equine species.
- n. Any of the large dark areas on the moon or on Mars or other planets.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dark, large circular plain; a “sea”.
- n. On Saturn's moon Titan, a large expanse of what is thought to be liquid hydrocarbons.
- n. An adult female horse.
- n. A foolish woman.
- n. A type of evil spirit thought to sit on the chest of a sleeping person; also the feeling of suffocation felt during sleep; a nightmare.
- n. (Shortening of nightmare) A nightmare; a frustrating or terrible experience.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The female of the horse and other equine quadrupeds.
- n. Sighing, suffocative panting, intercepted utterance, with a sense of pressure across the chest, occurring during sleep; the incubus; -- obsolete, except in the compound nightmare.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The female of the horse, or of other species of the genus Equus.
- n. A few ears of grain left standing and tied together, at which the harvesters throw their sickles till the knot is cut.
- n. Oppressed sleep; incubus, formerly regarded as an evil spirit of the night that oppresses persons during sleep: now used only in the compound nightmare.
- An obsolete form of more.
- n. A sea; specifically, in astronomy, a name for certain dark regions on the surface of the moon which were supposed by Galileo and other early observers to be seas or oceans, and are now regarded as plains; also a name for certain dark regions on the planet Mars.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. female equine animal
- n. a dark region of considerable extent on the surface of the moon
TO SOLOMON 9AGEBARO, E3 in fupport of his opinion, that a woman was a man, though a man was not a woman; by the fame rule, and for the fame reafon, as a mare is a horfe, though a horfe is not a mare*
The easy option: Pronouncing it phonetically, like the word mare.
You're as different from other women as that kind of a mare is from scrub work-horse mares.
This mare is due to foal 4/25/08 so I am looking forward to that date.
I look at it this way "this are leaders who are looking for other leaders to work with" rather than "I will be Hamas's worst nightmare" why do you want to be their worst night mare, is that how you resolve issues?
A young mare is sent galloping down the length of the manga as the mounted charros stand ready with their lariats.
Our vast country "a mari usque ad mare" is not too large since we need all the ten Provinces to go from sea to sea.
Then I stepped down in front of Mollie -- as I called the mare -- into the trail, and started to lead her.
See to it that my mare is saddled in ten minutes and Blue Devil harnessed to your master's curricle!
With half the county courtin 'her it ain't to be expected that she'd go as sober as a grey mare, is it?