from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Muffled; indistinct: a muted voice.
- adj. Mute or subdued; softened: muted colors.
- adj. Music Produced by or provided with a mute.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of mute.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. same as quiet. Opposite of
- adj. softened; rendered less loud or harsh; -- of sounds and instruments which produce sounds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of musical instruments, played with a mute: as, muted strings or muted horns. Also applied to the tones thus produced.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. in a softened tone
- adj. being or made softer or less loud or clear
Sorry, no etymologies found.
EBay's earnings were buoyed by the performance of its PayPal service, but overall results were again muted by its core marketplace unit.
EBay Inc. 's quarterly earnings were buoyed by the strong performance of its PayPal online-payments service, but the e-commerce giant's overall results were once again muted by its core marketplace unit.
But here I am, suggesting in muted horror from the safety of my desk that you watch the videos.
His clothes are in muted colors to allow him to fade into the background and he wears gloves with the trigger finger cut out.
Sitting still with non-reflective clothing in muted colors still works wonders.
Fixes: Populate the closet with clothes in muted tones.
The AP article notes, in muted understatement, "But the nature of some questions seems to validate concerns that they are suspected of being unfaithful to the church."
In the one case a growing sense of quiet desperation that will probably remain muted, in the other a prolonged outcry against the conditions that create that desperation in the first place.
The Shine stories employ pastel palettes, their passions play in muted, minor keys, their characters neither create empires nor destroy galaxies.
Based on the equally muted novel by Kazuo Ishiguro (who specializes in muted, actually), it tells a very odd story about young people in an alternate past who are cloned and raised strictly to provide organ donations so that others can live to be 100 or more and be very healthy.