American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- See Sri Lanka.
- n. The old name for Sri Lanka, prior to 1972.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the former name of an island republic in the Indian Ocean off the southeast coast of India, now called
Sri Lanka. It is an independent nation with an area of 25,332 sq. mi. and a population of about 14 million people.
- n. a republic on the island of Ceylon; became independent of the United Kingdom in 1948
- n. an island in the Indian Ocean off the southeastern coast of India
- From Ancient Greek Σελεδίβα (Selediba), from Pali sīhaḷa, from Sanskrit siṃhala dvīpa ("island"); siṃhala derived from siṃha ("lion"). (Wiktionary)
“[Footnote 1: An account of slavery in Ceylon, and the proceedings for its suppression, will be found in PRIDHAM'S _Ceylon_, vol.i. p. 223.] _Compulsory Labour_.”
“; on Ceylon, T.H. Parker, _Ancient Ceylon_, iv; and on the”
“Ceylon would send home for examination the species which respectively bear these names.] [Footnote 3: See DAVY'S _Ceylon_, ch. xiv.] [Footnote 4: Daboia elegans, _Daud.”
“[Footnote 1: Detailed accounts of the pearl fishery of Ceylon and the conduct of the divers, will be found in PERCIVAL's _Ceylon_, ch. iii.”
“Edinburgh by the Rev. J.G. Macvicar, D.D.] [Footnote 2: From a paper on the G.ology of Ceylon, by Dr. G.rdner, in the Appendix to Lee's translation of RIBEYRO'S _History of Ceylon_, p,”
“Down from the mainland of Asia poured an Aryan drift that built civilisations in Ceylon, Java, and Sumatra.”
“British rule in Ceylon, lasting until independence in 1948, was followed by decades of communal unrest culminating in the civil war.”
“Zheng He sailed his treasure fleet through the Strait of Malacca and out across the Indian Ocean as far as the Horn of Africa, stopping in Ceylon, the Indian Subcontinent, and the Arabian Peninsula along the way.”
“I have been a king in Ceylon, a builder of Aryan monuments under”
“This hand gesture is not unique to any race for it is to be found distributed all over the world – in Ceylon, Australia, Africa, Asia, and Europe.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Ceylon’.
Looking for tweets for Ceylon.