American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A memorial stone set at the head of a grave.
- n. Architecture See keystone.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The principal stone in a foundation; the chief stone, as the corner-stone of a building, or the keystone of an arch. See cut under arch.
- n. A stone, usually inscribed, set at the head of a grave.
- n. A gravestone, a grave marker: a monument traditionally made of stone placed at the head of a grave.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The principal stone in a foundation; the chief or corner stone.
- n. The stone at the head of a grave.
- n. a stone that is used to mark a grave
- n. the central building block at the top of an arch or vault
- head + stone (Wiktionary)
“I don't know what [my headstone] is going to [say], but it will have enough information for people to know who I am.”
“It's not just the dogs: The whole place has an air of lunacy, beginning with the fact that some time ago its superintendent was convicted of stealing $175,000 in headstone fees for the purpose of, among other things, purchasing racehorses.”
“Think about it: a cemetery — I mean a really old cemetery, not these new “memorial parks” where every headstone is flat to the ground and they all look the same — is really a museum without walls.”
“Perhaps until their wedding anniversary (November 21), or until her headstone is carved.”
“The headstone is then altered to include the new arrival.”
“Once the headstone is complete, the winner will receive four tickets to the park on October 21 for their "burial.”
“Judge; the man mistakenly buried under Judge's headstone is most likely”
“Casey’s headstone is in the works, he said, and is being built by a local monument company.”
“Jewish tradition prescribes that you wait several months before holding a ceremony to "unveil" the headstone, which is then placed upon the grave.”
“Not strange for those times, but here's the weird part...next to her headstone is another monument.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘headstone’.
A sort of stuffie of words/phrases that include "head"
head of cattle, out of one's head, head of the stairs, come to a head, head of steam, head of the page, win by a head, head taller, headway, fountainhead, heads or tails, hit the nail on t... and 143 more...
Looking for tweets for headstone.