from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gravestone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A headstone marking the person's grave.
- n. The symbol "∎" marking the end of a proof.
- v. For a surfboard to stand upright half-submerged in the water (like a tombstone, above) because the surfer is underwater with his or her legrope pulled tight. Often this indicates a surfer in difficulty, either held down by the power of a wave or unconscious and unable to get to the surface.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stone erected over a grave, to preserve the memory of the deceased.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stone placed over a grave, to preserve the memory of the deceased; a sepulchral monument.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing representing a sarcophagus or altar-tomb, usually having a large Latin cross on the slab or top.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stone that is used to mark a grave
Sorry, no etymologies found.