American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having six sides.
- adj. Containing a hexagon or shaped like one.
- adj. Mineralogy Having three equal axes intersecting at angles of 60° in one plane and one axis of variable length that is perpendicular to the others.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having six sides and six angles; having the form of hexagon. The hexagonal system in crystallography includes such forms as the hexagonal prism, pyramid, etc., which are referred to three equal lateral axes inclined at angles of 60° and a vertical axis of different length at right angles to them. (See
crystallography.) The rhombohedral system is a division of the hexagonal In which the forms are referred, sometimes to three equal inclined axes parallel to the faces of the fundamental rhombohedron, but more commonly to the same axes as the hexagonal forms; in the latter view the rhombohedron is regarded as the hemihedral form of a hexagonal pyramid, and similarly of the other forms. Hexagonal and rhombohedral forms have the same optical characters, both being uniaxial.
- Divided into hexagons: as, a surface with a hexagonal structure.
- adj. geometry Having six edges, or having a cross-section in the form of hexagon.
- adj. crystallography Having three equal axes which cross at 60° angles, and an unequal axis which crosses the others at 90° angle.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having six sides and six angles; six-sided.
- adj. having six sides or divided into hexagons
“This arrangement is referred to as "hexagonal closest packing;" something often seen in honeycombs or oranges stacked at a fruit stand.”
“The match, the first of 10 games in the final round - commonly referred to as the 'hexagonal' - will kickoff at 7 p.m.”
“The top two teams in each group will advance to the final regional qualifying round, the so-called hexagonal, with the top three teams in that group advancing to the World Cup in Brazil.”
“The top two teams in each group advance to the final six-nation qualifying round, which has come to be known as the hexagonal, with play starting early in 2013.”
“The Fire Rainbow happens when you have high-altitude sunlight (58 degrees or higher) hitting special types of ice crystals known as hexagonal plate crystals, found naturally in very-high altitude cirrus clouds.”
“The Honeycomb Inexplicably Offset Icon Grid is still arranged in the same way, but the actual honeycomb graphics-that is, the hexagonal icon ...”
“The Honeycomb Inexplicably Offset Icon Grid is still arranged in the same way, but the actual honeycomb graphics-that is, the hexagonal icon containers that filled the original matrix-have been done away with.”
“Lonsdaleite is called the hexagonal diamond because whilst it consists of carbon like diamond, the atoms are arranged hexagonally.”
“Interestingly, with the ix-onic, Hyundai designers are now going on record saying they are working toward defining a "hexagonal" front graphic as the company's new universal corporate face (check out the video).”
“Ching added a header in the 57th to round off the scoring for the United States, who virtually guaranteed they will advance to the final "hexagonal" round of qualifying.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hexagonal’.
words for shape
( randomness, visual. descriptive )
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A somewhat discriminatory list of words and phrases collected for their euphonic or arcane appeal, interesting etymology, or concise definition of an otherwise unnamed phenomenon or concept.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Words that mean the form of something. Like pyriform means pear-shaped
Looking for tweets for hexagonal.