American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To accuse of wrongdoing; charge: a book that indicts modern values.
- v. Law To make a formal accusation or indictment against (a party) by the findings of a jury, especially a grand jury.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To compose; write: properly and still usually written indite (which see.)
- To appoint publicly or by authority; proclaim.
- To find chargeable with a criminal offense, and in due forms of law to accuse of the same, as a means of bringing to trial: specifically said of the action of a grand jury. See indictment.
- Synonyms Charge, Indict, etc. See accuse.
- v. To accuse of wrongdoing; charge.
- v. law To make a formal accusation or indictment against (a party) by the findings of a jury, especially a grand jury.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. obsolete To write; to compose; to dictate; to indite.
- v. obsolete To appoint publicly or by authority; to proclaim or announce.
- v. (Law) To charge with a crime, in due form of law, by the finding or presentment of a grand jury; to bring an indictment against. It is the peculiar province of a grand jury to
indict, as it is of a house of representatives to impeach.
- v. accuse formally of a crime
- From Anglo-Norman enditer, from Old French enditer, from Medieval Latin indicto, from Latin in- + dictare. (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of Middle English enditen, to accuse, write a document; see indite. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“To be sure, waiting on a decision to indict is an exquisite form of torture.”
“At least the word indict itself was not used by the panel which says it has no power to do so.”
“In a scenario where a consentual relationship is not implausible e.g. two people who frequent the same bar and knew each other in passing, or rape allegations based on "reconstructed memories" and there is no physical evidence or contemporaneous police report, the concern about a statute of limitation is very real, and I do not hold any comfort in the notion that a grand jury might fail to indict, which is more a theoretical than real possibility, if the prosecutor is at all persausive, and the evidence needed to defense oneself from otherwise unrebutted witness testimony might very well not be available.”
“It seems he wants them to "indict," "expose" and "speak," all of which are presumably forms of non-literary public expression.”
“I suspect he may have decided to take a course of action that will wound this administration such as indict Karl Rove and Stephen Hadley.”
“AIDS militants, meanwhile, maintained their propaganda barrage against Bush, issuing a declaration to "indict" the United States for "inhumanity.”
“Truth and Reconciliation Commission to "indict" the previous apartheid government for crimes against ordinary men and women.”
“The majesty of his indignation, fitly uttered in tones of superhuman power, made him able to "indict" a nation.”
“The Pima County Tea Party Patriots plan to "indict" the sheriff at their rally for "politicizing the shootings, blaming free speech for the crime without evidence, failing to protect Giffords, failing to recuse himself from the investigation, and embarrassing the community in front of the nation," according to the Arizona Daily Star.”
“And the candidate refuses to "indict" Nevada's K - 12 education system.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘indict’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words with definitions containing the phrase "which see."
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for indict.