from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Behind the times; old-fashioned: Last year's styles will be old hat soon.
- adj. Overused; trite: That prank is old hat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something with which one is very familiar, or in which one is experienced or skilled.
- n. Something widely or long practiced, known, or accepted; something conventional.
- n. Something uninteresting, hackneyed, or passé due to overuse or long-standing familiarity.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.