from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Unhindered opportunity; free access.
- n. Admission to all on equal terms.
- n. A policy whereby a nation trades with all other nations on equal terms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Open or free admission to all; hospitable welcome; free opportunity.
- In modern diplomacy, opportunity for political and commercial intercourse open to all upon equal terms, esp. with reference to a nation whose policy is wholly or partially fixed by nations foreign to itself, or to territory newly acquired by a conquering nation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the policy of granting equal trade opportunities to all countries
- n. freedom of access
Sorry, no etymologies found.