from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various devices worn in the vagina to support or correct the position of the uterus or rectum.
- n. A contraceptive diaphragm.
- n. A medicated vaginal suppository.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medical device similar to the outer ring of a contraceptive diaphragm, most commonly used to support a displaced uterus; also called therapeutic pessary.
- n. A diaphragm.
- n. A vaginal suppository.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument or device to be introduced into and worn in the vagina, to support the uterus, or remedy a malposition.
- n. A medicinal substance in the form of a bolus or mass, designed for introduction into the vagina; a vaginal suppository.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In medicine, an instrument made, in various forms, of elastic or rigid materials, and worn in the vagina to remedy various uterine displacements.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a contraceptive device consisting of a flexible dome-shaped cup made of rubber or plastic; it is filled with spermicide and fitted over the uterine cervix
Sometimes urinary incontinence is so severe that medication, a device called a pessary, or surgery is the only option to get it under control.
Treatment may involve use of a vaginal pessary, which is a device placed in the vagina for support.
Afterwards, as Dottie is preparing to leave, he tells her to get herself a "pessary" (this is American for a diaphragm).
_ -- These are reliable only when carefully adjusted over the mouth of the womb, and many women find it very difficult to adjust this kind of pessary correctly; hence numbers of failures.
Approaches to stress incontinence include weight loss if obesity is present, a vaginal pessary, and surgery.
She introduced the pessary (diaphragm) to the Netherlands despite intense opposition from male colleagues, held a free clinic for poor women two mornings a week, and campaigned to change the unhealthy working conditions of salesgirls.
I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion.
Newmania said ... like a pessary up Lord Browne's bottom - it just doesn't bear thinking about.
No worries Roger, you are obviously not aware of my sense of humour and reluctance to be sucked into the European Union, like a pessary up Lord Browne's bottom - it just doesn't bear thinking about.
Or have a pessary, osteoporosis, breast cancer, abnormal paps, abnormal bleeding or are on hormone replacement and you need to come in more often than once every two years.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.