from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A buffet meal featuring a varied number of dishes.
- n. A varied collection: "a smorgasbord of fashionable paranormal beliefs” ( Martin Gardner).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A buffet.
- n. a collection of various things
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a collection containing a variety of sorts of things
- n. an assortment of foods starting with herring or smoked eel or salmon etc with bread and butter; then cheeses and eggs and pickled vegetables and aspics; finally hot foods; served as a buffet meal
Swedish smörgåsbord : smörgås, bread and butter (smör, butter from Old Norse + Swedish dialectal gås, lump of butter from Old Norse gās, goose; see gosling) + bord, table (from Old Norse bordh).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Swedish smörgåsbord ("a buffet with many small dishes"), a compound of smörgås ("sandwich") and bord ("table"). (Wiktionary)