from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of birds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characteristic of or pertaining to birds, or to bird-like or flying creatures.
- n. A bird.
- n. A bird-like or flying creature.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or instrument to birds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Aves, or birds; ornithic.
- n. A member of the class Aves; a bird: as, “this ancient avian,” Coues.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pertaining to or characteristic of birds
From Latin avis, bird; see awi- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin avis, bird + -ian (Wiktionary)