from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that dreams.
- n. A visionary.
- n. An idealist.
- n. A habitually impractical person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who dreams.
- n. Someone whose beliefs are far from realistic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who dreams.
- n. A visionary; one lost in wild imaginations or vain schemes of some anticipated good.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who dreams; one who has dreams or visions.
- n. A visionary: as, a political dreamer.
- n. A mope; a sluggard.
- n. A South American puff-bird of the genus Chelidoptera, as C. tenebrosa.
- n. plural See the quotation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who is dreaming
- n. a person who escapes into a world of fantasy
- n. someone guided more by ideals than by practical considerations
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."
“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” —
He was still, however, Eric Blair, the impossibly tall and thin dreamer he'd been since childhood.
He was a 'dreamer' -- a 'dreamer' who makes dreams become actualities by perseverance and hard work.
The downside of being a dreamer is the isolation that comes with being lost in your own head.
In fact, the difference between a goalie and a dreamer are as illustrative as the difference between goalpost and dreampost.
"I hadn't talked to a dreamer, which is what [Mr. Stiller] is, in years, and it felt really good."
When we have fully discovered the scientific laws that govern life, we shall realize that the one person who has more illusions than the dreamer is the man of action.
✓ I have been described as a dreamer or likely to have my head up in the clouds.
× I have been described as a dreamer or likely to have my head up in the clouds.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.