from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An old shellfish or turtle with a growth of algae on its back.
- n. An old, large, or sluggish fish.
- n. An extremely conservative or old-fashioned person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A turtle that, because of its age, has a growth of algae on its back.
- n. A very conservative or reactionary person, especially one with old-fashioned views.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A veteran partisan; one who is so conservative in opinion that he may be likened to a stone or old tree covered with moss.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large and old fish, as a bass: so called by anglers, in allusion to the growth of seaweed, etc., which may be found on its back.
- n. In United States politics, one attached to antiquated notions; an extreme conservative.
- n. In the southern United States, during the civil war, one who hid himself to avoid conscription.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an extremely old-fashioned conservative
moss + back (Wiktionary)