from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
- n. The condition of being homesick; homesickness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A longing for home or familiar surroundings; homesickness.
- n. A bittersweet yearning for the things of the past.
- n. Reminiscence of the speaker's childhood or younger years.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Homesickness; esp., a severe and sometimes fatal form of melancholia, due to homesickness.
- n. A sentimental yearning to return to an earlier time remembered as happier or more pleasant, or a former place evoking happy memories; a longing to experience again a former happy time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Morbid longing to return to one's home or native country; homesickness, especially in its severe forms, producing derangement of mental and physical functions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. longing for something past
Greek nostos, a return home; see nes-1 in Indo-European roots + -algia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin nostalgia, from Ancient Greek * νοσταλγία (nostalgia), from νόστος (nostos, "a return home") + ἄλγος (algos, "pain, suffering"). Compare Italian nostalgia and French nostalgie. (Wiktionary)