from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A size that is larger than usual.
- n. An oversize article or object.
- adj. Larger in size than usual or necessary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Larger than normal
- adj. Excessively large
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To surpass in size.
- transitive v. To cover with viscid matter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To surpass in bulk or size.
- To cover with size or viscid matter.
- Of excessive size; specifically, noting material which is too large to pass through the meshes of a given screen or sieve. That which passes through the meshes receives one sort of treatment; the oversize, or oversized material, passes off from the screen on its upper surface to a subsequent process.
- n. Material that is oversize.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. larger than normal for its kind
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The Indians call their oversize, beaded, feathered and sometimes elaborately cantilevered costumes suits.
Mr. Nielsen called the oversize yellow pause button in the middle of the remote "the most beautiful pause button I've ever seen."
“Where did you get that shirt?” he asked over the radio, referring to the oversize, beat-up plaid she wore.
Some days it seems all the fish you land are oversize, which is hard to classify as a problem, unless you're out for a snook dinner.
The success of the ' oversize ' racket led to other manufacturers experimenting with different sized heads.
However, an unforeseen benefit to the consumer did eventually emerge, since after awhile everyone else went "oversize" too, and once the 31.8 size became common riders could mix and match stems and bars for both road bikes and mountain bikes with impunity.
(The car wash waived the $10 charge for our "oversize" vehicle, a 1997 Honda CR-V sport-utility vehicle.)
That is bad; but, hey, do you remember that other laptop travesty someone once made, which also seemed to be targeted toward 12 year-old girls because it was ugh tangerine and looked like some kind of oversize Barbie doll makeup compact?
Need to print a banner, a poster, a sign, or some other kind of oversize output?
The City Council recently approved an ordinance prohibiting "oversize" vehicles from parking on the street between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.