from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flat grassland of tropical or subtropical regions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tropical grassland with scattered trees
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A tract of level land covered with the vegetable growth usually found in a damp soil and warm climate, -- as grass or reeds, -- but destitute of trees.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plain or extensive flat area covered with a sheet of snow or ice: so first used, with the accent on the first syllable, by Spanish writers.
- n. A treeless plain: so first used in reference to American topography by Oviedo (1535), with the accent on the second syllable.
- n. In phytogeography See grass-land.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flat grassland in tropical or subtropical regions
Obsolete Spanish çavana, from Taino zabana.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish sabana, from Taino. (Wiktionary)